Venting requirements for molded rubber

bakadue1

Venting requirements for molded rubber

Post by bakadue1 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:16 pm

Our molding operation is currently not airconditioned, but we move a very large volume of fresh air through to keep temps down, and as a result have never had any issue with smoke/particulate from the off-gassing of our rubber.

We are now planning to wall off a portion of the presses for the purpose of airconditioning, and a member of our team has suggested that there may be air-turn requirements to ensure we are evacuating this particulate.

Is anyone aware of source for requirements on this type of thing?

jstone9141

Re: Venting requirements for molded rubber

Post by jstone9141 » Fri May 12, 2023 3:48 pm

I have seen guidelines for general air turn suggestions for various applications. I don't remember where I saw it, but I think it was an industry trade group of some sort. I'm not aware of any actual requirements for rubber. I would suggest partnering with your local MEP/EHS organization to do air quality testing after you complete the enclosure and are molding in it as a verification of the controls you put in place.

charliebraun

Re: Venting requirements for molded rubber

Post by charliebraun » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:53 am

I'm not aware of any requirements. Obviously the more the better from a comfort standpoint. But, I have (and ARPM I think has copies) some older studies that were done the prove the smoke and particulate from curing rubber are not cancer causing.
My email is cbraun@customrubbercorp.com

Charlie